Topic: MPI Test Suite
The MPI Test Suite that is under development should address several additional issues besides raw compliance with the standards. Some of these additional issues are:
1) Documenting the performance for some of the more important calls (e.g., simple sends and receives, both latency and bandwidth as a function of message size, noting if very large messages break the library).
2) Documenting the performance for the collective calls as a function of both message size and number of MPI processes.
3) Documenting memory usage as a function of the number of MPI processes (message size is optional), for commonly used calls, including some of the collectives.
4) Documenting and if at all possible trying to standardize the environment variables used to tune the MPI library. The standardization can be achieved by writing a wrapper script that converts the standard environment variables (when defined) into the machine specific environment variables.
5) While technically this is not part of the test suite, it might be helpful to define a standard environment variable that people can test to see if an MPI implementation is thread safe (can be embedded in an OpenMP parallel loop). For most implementations I believe that this variable should still return FALSE or NO or 0. However, if the documentation says that it is thread safe, it can return TRUE or YES or SAFE or 1. If it goes on to say that it is thread hot (efficient), it can return HOT or 2.
BC Team Feedback
The BC team has reviewed your recent input and recommends the following:
We thank you for your valued input, and hope that you find the BC team response satisfactory.
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Air Force of this website or the information, products, or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and morale, welfare and recreation sites, the U.S. Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.